Monday, July 30, 2007

Ali Miraj - Poor Show

I see that tonight's headline on BBC online centres on comments made by Ali Miraj, a Conservative who's looking for a seat to fight at the next General Election criticising David Cameron. This is a really poor show by Ali, who should know better. I find it a touch disappointing because Ali once contested a seat in the Welsh Valleys, and I felt that I sort of knew him. To me, he seemed to be a thoroughly sound man.

Its not that the points he makes are unreasonable. Its the way he's said them - and to whom. I've heard others make the same points about the trip to Rwanda in particular, as well as the selection of Tony Lit to fight Ealing Southall for us. I've answered a few questions about the Rwanda trip myself. Of course it was a tough call. He was twixt a rock and a hard place. But withdrawal from such a carefully prepared visit to the Rwandan Parliament, at the very same time as the an important Conservative Policy Group was publishing its report on Global Poverty would have given a very poor message to the world. David Cameron was in a no-win position. The last thing we need is one of our own making the position worse. Thank goodness David Cameron has got Janet Daley giving him her full backing in today's Telegraph. I shouldn't think that Ali has done much for his chances of selection with these comments.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miraj is all over the pepers this morning. He is a disgrace. He should never be selected to represent a constituency. He si too unreliable

Glyn Davies said...

Your criticiam is too strong. However, I too would prefer Ali not to make such a fuss about his views - because it doesn't help us.

Anonymous said...

spellings not too strong though

Anonymous said...

From James Forsyth in the spectator today
David Cameron revealed that just yesterday Miraj asked the Tory leader to make him a peer and implied that Miraj’s criticisms are just sour grapes. I suspect that we haven’t heard the last of this.

Update: Conservative Home reports that Miraj is going on the World at One to respond to Cameron. The last thing that Cameron needs now is a personal squabble with someone who introduced him aty the launch of his leadership bid

Glyn Davies said...

Valleys mam - typo rather than spelling mistake - not that my spelling is that grate.

anon - I'm just going to check up on the latest. I just want this to go away.

Unknown said...

Absolutely disigusting behaviour - the Tory party does not need any of this infighting at this time, it stands a chance to gain momentum and in the next election on the fact that people are fed-up with Labour - much the same as people were fed-up with the TOries after many years, although, stupidity within the Tories did not help their case much either.
Cameron also is not helping himself too much when he comes out with stupid idea like putting 7p on a pint of beer as a 'great move' to stop binge drinking - absolute stupidity, drinkers will just pay the extra 70p -£1.40 a night it takes to get loaded and will just be 'miffed' with hte fact that they are paying so much because of a stupid political 'idea'.
Stop mass immigration - that is what is of major concern - do some research and look to what the future holds, it does NOT bode well....

Glyn Davies said...

hobey monster - I see that Ali has now been dropped from the candidates list. I am deeply disappointed by his attitude. Self-defeating.
I don't think David has commited himself to 7p extra tax on beer! At least I hope not.