Sunday, July 08, 2007

Acronym Entertainment

So Gordon Brown has wreaked mayhem amongst Whitehall's computer world by renaming the DTI as the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (DBERR). It seems that most of the Whitehall computers recognise this acronym as 'database error'.

The Telegraph reminds us today of Tony Blair's intention after the General Election in 2005, also to rename the DTI, with the consequence that the responsible Cabinet Minister would be known as the Productivity, ENergy and Industry Secretary!! I suppose he imagined the new title would have given the Minister more standing in cabinet meetings.

The reason this attracted my attention is that last Friday, I was invited to attend a meeting of the Montgomeryshire Uplands Conservation group. I hope the meeting wasn't to exciting. It could have been all over in 10 seconds!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We only have to the look at the Assembly for similarities. I see the current economic development department is DET - soemthing I don't want to get into, particularly with a WAG!