Saturday, June 23, 2007

Where's my Dancing Shoes?

Better get my dancing shoes on. Had a call today inviting me to compete in some sort of Celebrity Strictly Come Dancing Competition. Money's going to cancer research and because I know who's arranging it, I have a special reason for wanting to join in. But of course, its immediately become more than a fundraising 'bit of fun'. Its a COMPETITION between 4 couples. There will be a WINNER. That ugly competetive streak has already taken over. At the very least, a summer training programme will have to be arranged.

Now everybody's going to think that I'm just there to make a bit of a fool of myself - because I used to be someone ( I quote the BBC's Vaughan Roderick here) . But unknown to the organisers, I have a bit of form on the dance floor. In the 1970s, no village function in Montgomeryshire was complete without a competition to the music of Chubby Checker singing 'Lets Twist Again'. And I won my share. Even now, whenever Dire Straits strike up with 'Walk of Life', every bone of Mrs D's and my body screams out Jive, Jive, Jive - and we do. All those hours of my youth that I spent at the Jeanette Perrin School of Dancing and after my training was over, gliding around the ballrooms of Mid Wales to Ivor Tanner's Band will not have gone to waste.

So remember - September 8th at Forden Community Centre.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chubby Checker was popular in the mid 60s. Ouch.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this could be opener for the Parliamentary battle. We should suggest Mr Opik and his cheeky girl as a competing couple?

Glyn Davies said...

anon - but Chubby Checker was still being played in the 70s although the Twist died out in the 80s. It was extraordinarily good for fitness.

witness - now you have me reappraising the wisdom of my acceptance. If I hear that there is any sort of harmonica suppoprting act, I'll be pulling out. I do not want to be snapped by a Hello Magazine camaraman.

Anonymous said...

Glyn Davies said...
"anon - but Chubby Checker was still being played in the 70s although the Twist died out in the 80s. It was extraordinarily good for fitness."

It was indeed very good excercise for 20 inch waists lol If the twist came back girls would not starve themselves for a size zero..

Anonymous said...

Been doing a bit of Salsa me self - great excise and those snake hipped young latinos - well I lied a bit, as Merthyr is allegedly the fat capital of Wales, more like baby hippos on speed really.
Living la vie la Loca

Glyn Davies said...

Valleys mam - you and me both. Though I've never seen a baby hippo on speed. Seen a bull with staggers though and that gives me an idea.