Thursday, June 28, 2007

Through Gritted Teeth

This blog offers best wishes to the new National Assembly of Wales Government. I'd have done everything in my power to stop it being created - but the Plaid/Labour deal has been struck. Apart from some daft ideas about how to tackle the problem of 'affordable housing', I do not take serious issue with much in the One Wales document - which is more than you can say for a big chunk of the Labour Party. But Gordon told Rhodri to do what he had to - and Labour's Assembly payroll was so desperate to hang on to their higher salaries that Rhodri had no alternative but to tell Lord Kinnock and the MPs to p*** off. I still think that Plaid has made a huge strategic mistake, and that Iuean Wyn Jones simply 'bottled it'. He's right not to trust the Lib Dems - but that smacks more of excuse than reason to me.

The deal is done. Thee is trouble ahead. But since this blog has the interests of Wales at its heart, I must wish these unlikely bedfellows four years (less 2 months) of blissful happiness and success. Through gritted teeth.

10 comments:

Activist said...

Glyn,

I am still holding my breath but looks as though the fantasy I described a few days ago has almost come to be. Not going to pinch myself in case I wake up........

PS Congratulations in becoming the official opposition - long may your party enjoy its new status......

Glyn Davies said...

activist - this blog has a policy of being polite to anyone who honours it with their thoughts and comments. But you test me.

ganesh family said...

Glyn my waters tell me (or it could be the kidney stones)that you may not have long to wait before it all falls apart.
The link between Plaid and Labour will be tested over the coming months as one or other of the parties bottle it on one issue or another

Activist said...

Actually I think you have been very sporting throughout.

Don't despair our neanderthal MPs may yet throw you a lifeline......

Seneddwr said...

Glyn - Don't give up the ghost just yet - their is a sense of a tide turning. See my latest post for details of 'spin' from Rodri's army of advisors that make Al Campbell proud...

Deleted said...

I read the Rainbow Coalition document, and I found it quite exciting. I couldn't see what was in it for the Tories, perhaps the Welsh Conservatives really have moved on from the 80s & 90s.

The "One Wales" document however, gives me real concerns. There seems to be too much dogma.

"We will eliminate the use of private sector hospitals by the NHS in Wales by 2011."

That's fine so long as the NHS no longer requires the extra capacity that the use of private sector hospitals has given them. But what if it still does?

Glyn Davies said...

left field - dogma before delivery = One Wales has a nice ring to it.

Unknown said...

Welsh Labour MPs are now calling the deal illegal.
Illegal or not, the deal should stand. It is obvious to me that it is the best deal for Wales.
As you say, it was the Lib Dems who scuppered the alternative.

http://alanindyfed.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

alanindyfed ,

"Illegal or not, the deal should stand."

We've got to be serious on these issues, and legal. Whatever went on behind the scenes has produced a result with too many questions. We need to know exactly how this came about.

"It is obvious to me that it is the best deal for Wales.
As you say, it was the Lib Dems who scuppered the alternative."

The Lib Dems played their part and so did the pink five. I think there was something else as there was so much support for the Rainbow.
You can't push through deals over a government like going through a supermarket checkout!

Glyn Davies said...

Agreed. This whole thing is in danger of falling into real chaos