Friday, June 15, 2007

Rat Sandwich

I recall Mrs D once putting salt in the sugar bowl on April 1st and handing it to me without a flicker of an eyelid. First mouthful of my muesli and I knew I'd been had. But rather than concede, I decided to tough it out. I cleared the dish without so much as a grimace or lifting my gaze from my newspaper. I hope she doesn't read this post because to this day I've claimed that I didn't notice the difference.

Reason this came to my mind was after seeing the expressions on the faces of all those Wales Labour Executive members who were on TV tonight telling us how they supported the idea of a going into coalition with Plaid. At least the pain I will feel if the Rainbow Coalition doesn't materialise will be lessoned by the knowledge of the suppressed hatred that will be fermenting within the breast of Welsh Labour

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glyn,

As always in such things the small minority opposed to an idea make far more noise than the majority in favour. The vast majority of active Labour members want to see a centre left government and the Tories kept in thier democratic position in Wales which is opposition. Plaid are not the majority opponents in constituencies and asside from some difference over the extent of self determination and the pace share a very similar position on the ideological spectrum to Welsh Labour.

This whole Labour divide line is being played up by selective interviewing by the BBC. How many labour interviews have you seen from constituencies in Cardiff, Bridgend, Newport, Swansea or Wrexham yet? Those of us wanting this alliance have the numbers. Let's see if at any point the BBC want to talk to any of us. In the meantime remember the adage about noise and vessels.

Anonymous said...

Glyn

We seem to forget that many voters supported Plaid to keep Labour out of power and that their very good PR campaign during the election, based on gettign labour out, helped to cement their reputation as the alternative party to Rhodri's crowd.

If this red-green pact goes ahead, then many of these voters will feel extremely betrayed with obvious electoral benefits for the Conservatives at the next election.

Certainly, if the Welsh Tories become more centrist, then a whole mass of FPTP seats will fall in 2011 as supporters switch from Plaid to the Conservatives, especially in North and Mid Wales seats.

Anonymous said...

draig,

What are you on? I would like to get some......

Glyn Davies said...

patriot - I suspect that you are right - even if I am keen to change the assumption you make about the natural position for my party. We have changed a lot and I accept that we need to change more - but it is happening and quickly.

and draigogonwy - whatever you are on, I'm on the same thing - because I think you are spot on. If the voters of Aberconwy had known about this, Dylan Jones-Evans would be an AM.

Ted Jones said...

To be fair Plaid were making very pro Red - Green noises during the election, mostly as a part of its strategy to undermine Labour's Vote Plaid - Get Tory narrative. The budget negotiations proved that Plaid would work with Labour, so the fact that a red - green deal is now on the table shouldn't be a great surprise.

Glyn Davies said...

ted - not in Aberconwy they weren't - and a few other places.

Anonymous said...

it looks as if red-green is on after todays meeting in aberystwyth