Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Peter Prendergast 1946 - 2007

Today, we've bought a landscape painted by Peter Prendergast, one of Wales' most renowned artists whose death I learned of from a blog posted by Chanticler yesterday.

I first encountered Peter Prendergast in the 1980s, when he was included in a small group of outstanding Welsh artists in an exhibition to promote Wales by the Development Board for Rural Wales, which I chaired at the time. Th photograph was the one we used at the time. I was hugely impressed by his interpretation of North Wales' industrial wastelands. Regrettably, I couldn't afford to buy - but we have put that right today. We now have a Peter Prendergast landscape which will be a constant reminder of a great Welsh artist who, tragically has died at such a young age.

No comments: