Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Pontrobert Friendly Club

This is a post for the Montgomeryshire village of Pontrobert.
When I was a pupil of Llanfair Caereinion High School, I often went by school bus to stay with my Nain and Taid, who lived near Pontrobert (at No 1 Tan-y ffridd cottages). Taid was the local road man. I've got a soft spot for the small village. Not so small these days. There's been lots of new houses built. Anyway I was there this afternoon.

I enjoy comparatively small local events. Today it was a meeting of Pontrobert Friendly Club, about 40 ish over-60s, just out for a get to-gether, celebrating an award of £850 (I think). My photograph is of Powys Council Chair, Viola Evans, the Club Chairman, Ken Tatlow and the 'person-in-charge' (secretary I think), Rita Evans, who is a relative of mine. Pontrobert is a very active community, with strong Merched Y Wawr and Age Concern groups as well. The former came on a trip around our garden earlier this year.

One lady I met was named Gloria Freeman, who has moved to Pontrobert from Nottingham. When she was a young girl named Gloria Chambers she attended the Albert St School, and shared a desk with Ken Clarke. She tells me that he was very studious, and they all expected him to go a long way. They were right. I promised to get in touch with Gloria if Ken makes another visit to Montgomeryshire. Small world.

No comments: