Monday, October 20, 2008

Nature's response to recession.


Sorry about this. Two gardening posts in a week is indulgant. I'll have snide comments from non-Tory bloggers suggesting that I'm avoiding politics because our opinion poll leads are shortening. Well No. Its just that there's been so much in the media about this years absolutely stunning autumn colours. I don't want to feel left out.
OK, so its not Westonbirt. And she's a bit past her best because today's wind has taken a fair few of her clothes off. But there can be no more beautiful sight (except for those we love) than an Acer palmatum dissectum 'viridis' in the autumn.
In the spring she starts off rather slowly. You could say she doesn't look her best in the morning. There's always quite a bit of die back, and the new leaves dribble out rather than burst forth. But when she's fully clothed in her freshest green, she makes a lovely centrepiece for the 'gallery' lawn all summer. And then this happens. Every year. Regular as clockwork. And I marvel at all those stupid people who pay fortunes for stuffed sharks in Formaldehyde.

2 comments:

Rhetoric Innes said...

Its the more money than brains brigade with the purchase of works of art in formaldehyde.
As for autumn colours there is nothing like a beechwood edge in october with a midday sun.
Westonbirt arboretum -fantastic place

Anonymous said...

My rubber tree,(treeus rubberus), a graft onto an apple stock, has rewarded us again with the most magnificent display and fall of every Autumn colour known to mankind.

The downside being that I have just spent an exhausting couple of hours clearing leaves and pruning. At my time of life I really should know better.

This will, unfortunately, be the last year of my pleasure and torment as I'm really not up to it anymore.

Fortunately my grandaughter has suggested that I dry and laminate a selection of different coloured leaves as a keep-sake. Clever girl.

P.S. Anybody want to buy a 30 foot rubber tree before the chainsaw men arrive?

P.P.S. Of course I will plant a fresh sapling in its place but the maintenance of that won't be my problem.