Thursday, February 28, 2008

Peter Hain AM?

Oh how you laughed when this blog speculated that Peter Hain might turn his attention towards the National Assembly for Wales, following the turbulence in his Westminster-based political career. Far be-neath the great man's talents is what you said - at least those of you who posted your opinions. Well, as driving home from South Wales tonight, I switched on Radio Wales to listen to Good Evening Wales, and there he was, sounding for all the world as though he were an Assembly Member already. And a very sensible one at that.

There is no other way of putting it. Peter Hain launched a huge attack on the Assembly Government's overall strategy. The spin doctors will be busy, pretending that's not an onion skin between Peter and Rhodri Morgan. Even if its a great concrete wall. And I agreed with almost every word of it. "Too much focus on the public sector". "The public sector in Wales in too big and the private sector is too small". "There's been too much focus on free provision and too much taking of soft options". "There must be a major re-prioritising of the Assembly Government's policies towards encouraging a bigger Private Sector". And plenty more of this sort of stuff. Felicity Evans had a better interview on her hands than she realised. Oh, and he had something very sensible to say about the referendum as well - which I'll post on later on tonight - if I'm home in time. I've been away all day and I'm taking Mrs D out for supper.

14 comments:

Normal Mouth said...

You asked the question again.

And the answer's still no.

Anonymous said...

Whats the odds on Peter Hain defecting and becoming the next leader of the Conservatives in the Assembly?

Glyn Davies said...

anon - no chance - even if he sounded like a Tory today.


NM - I wasn't asking and question this time. I was just pointing out that I think Peter Hain's focus will now be on his constituency, which will mean much more engagement with Assembly politics. All I did was speculate that moving to the Assembly could ressurect his political career. I now think the possibility is stronger. If he genuinely holds the opinions he was expressing today, he would greastly strengthen the Labour team.

Anonymous said...

just a shame that Peter Hain didn't have those same opinions on skills and the welsh economy as Secretary of State for Wales, he still sounded far to smug on the radio and in Parliament today he hesn't learn anything im afraid.

Glyn Davies said...

anon - agreed - but at least he seems to have seen some light now he has time to reflect on the misguided strategy of Labour's Assembly leadership.

Normal Mouth said...

I wasn't asking and question this time.

Yes you were. There was a question mark after your proposition. It's in the headline.

Glyn Davies said...

NM - bu***r. I hate admitting that I'm wrong.

Anonymous said...

glad you agree about Peter Hain's remarks Glyn, but lets not kid ourselves that Labour could make a difference on the economic development, job creation and skills and training even if they had the political will and were shown how to invigorate the economy.

Dare I say it as an economist what we need are the Tories in power in Cardiff Bay.

Anonymous said...

What we need are the Tories in power at Westminster.

Glyn Davies said...

anons - Unsurprisingly, I agree on both counts. Many people now expect the Conservatives to win power at Westminster at the next election. I also believe with a passion that Conservative sshould be contemplating power in Cardiff Bay as well. This belief has heavilyu influenced my views over recent years. I really strongly believe that we are letting all 'conservative' minded people in Wales down if we do not seriously consider how we can take a share of power. I'm just not in favour of allowing the Labour Party to rule in the National Assembly for ever.

Anonymous said...

"I'm just not in favour of allowing the Labour Party to rule in the National Assembly for ever."

No, but quite happy for Bourne and co to share power with the nationalists.

Dr. Christopher Wood said...

Glyn> if the Conservatives win power in Cardiff Bay will they at least take a close look at the Welsh intellectual property leakage? Wales is bleeding its future tax base; the opportunity cost to Wales is mega-huge, and more important than ever given the scale of outsourcing of factory jobs.

Glyn Davies said...

anon - Yes I am - although happy is not quite the word. Its that I realise that if Labour are to removed from power in Wales, the Conservatives and Plaid Cymru would have to enter som esort of agreement. Neither side would like it, but if Paisley and Maguinnis can find a way....

Christopher - I am not in a position to make any committment, but I think I would try to arrange for you to have an opportunity to make a presentation of your proposals. Couldn't go further than that

Dr. Christopher Wood said...

Most "excellent" of you Glyn!