Saturday, April 25, 2009

Bullock goes shopping

My first reaction to this entertaining BBC video, was that it wasn't a bull. It was a bullock. If it had been a bull, we would have noticed testicles dangling as he departed the shop. Not that it makes a lot of difference whether there are testicles included, if half a ton of beef runs into you! It was a lucky escape for those in the shop. Large bovine animals can be very dangerous creatures, though in this case I think any damage inflicted on humans would have been accidental. Its also terribly embarrassing for the farmer. Around 25 years ago, I was unloading bullocks at Welshpool Livestock Market when one of them just 'lost it' and escaped. I was sitting on my backside, having been flattened, as I watched in disappear up Mill Lane in the direction of the town centre. Found him next day. Someone had seen him emerging from the big culvert which runs under the town and carries the Lledan Brook, jump over a gate and a couple of hedges before coming to a standstill, eyes wild and nostrils flaring. He was as quiet as a lamb when I collected him after allowing him a day or two to settle down.

Sometimes bovine animals do 'turn', and resort to violence. With bulls, its usually to do with the sexual urge, while with females it normally concerns protection of their offspring. I remember my father being gored by a mad cow, when he entered a small 'kit' (a word for a shed that we never hear today) soon after she'd 'calved'. He survived only because two of us happened to be in the yard and heard the noise of battle. I also recall moving a cow and calf out into the fields, when I was hit from behind and was tossed through the air like a doll - very lucky to land on my feet and be well positioned to run for it. Over the years, many farmers have been killed by angry bovines. But this Irish bullock was just confused and frightened, and meant no harm. I must say the Irish farmer did not show much courage in the face of the enemy though. I wonder what happened afterwards. The animal was probably shot by the Garda, but there's me, taking the humour out of the story by the injection of cold realism.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...a former collegue of mine was bitten by one of his horses once. He got between the horses food and the horse so the horse bit into his shoulder and lifted him out of the way.....

Allan said...

Back in the 70's I used to live in a small town in Suffolk, and almost every month a Animal would escape from the slaughter house and often run into the town

Glyn Davies said...

Anon - Horse will quite often bite for the sheer hell of it. The only horse I ever owned (it was a sort of dowry that came with Mrs D) used to bite and kick the cattle when I fed them - for the sheer hell of that.

Allan - and its much mor elikely since the continantal breeds became so dominant. The old Herefords were comparatively gentle and quiet.