Saturday, July 04, 2009

A flattering likeness?

Called in at Glansevern Hall, near my village of Berriew yesterday to take in this new ceramic sculpture of Laura Ashley, who had such strong associations with Mid Wales. I've never quite had it, when it comes to art appreciation, which is probably why I find this a rather unflattering likeness. What do you think - those who remember her that is. I really would like to talk it through with the sculptor, Katie Scarlett Howard, who has a studio near Mold, in North Wales. Anyway, it's fitting that Laura Ashley should feature in the series of six sculptures based on the theme 'Woman of Substance', being positioned across Wales. This statue is located in an excellent location, in the courtyard at Glansevern, which welcomes many thousands of visitors every year. The full story of this weekend's unveiling in on the BBC here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

its hideous an captures nothing of her inner and outer beauty

Glyn Davies said...

VM - I'll put you down in the 'unflattering' column.

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I have to agree with you Glyn - it's a horrible sculpture. I can't imagine Laura Ashley looked remotely like that, so it could be a sculpture of anyone really. It looks more like Margaret Thatcher!

Glyn Davies said...

Anon - I thought it was 'unflattering'. Your reference to Mrs T makes me look upon it a bit more favourably!