Thursday, July 02, 2009

Blogging returns

Sorry for the break in blogging. Several reasons, including our little granddaughter of 20 months, Ffion, who has been staying with us all week, while the parents spent a few days playing golf at La Manga, in Spain. She's demanding - in a lovely way. I ask myself how on earth Mrs D managed with four of them - and she was just 20 when it started. Added problem this week was that Ffion learned how to climb out of her cot.

And I've gone sick as well. Since my internal system was redesigned six years ago following a lower bowel re-section to remove a cancerous tumour, I occasionally suffer an infection which knocks me flat. Started yesterday, and I made it worse, much worse, by driving to Cardiff and back to do CF99. I don't like crying off late, but yesterday I really should have done. Anyway today, I've been laid low, apart from a visit to see my GP. Wonder if my sickness was obvious on the screen. Only physical sign was profuse sweating. Fell apart when I reached my car. Made it home though, totally knackered - and Ffion was still awake!

CF99 is based on two guests discussing issues of the week with Vaughan Roderick and Bethan Rees Roberts. Yesterday my fellow-guest was Plaid Cymru Minister, Elin Jones. Just before we went on air she shared a presentation box of Pemberton's chocolates around. That's what I call softening up with style. We discussed the second anniversary of the establishment of the Labour/Plaid Coaltion, and whether Charles will be the last Prince of Wales. When asked my view about how the Coalition has done over the last two years, I responded by declaring survival to have been a success. Its going to be a lot more difficult over the next two years as the budget falls. Interesting that Elin gave no commitment to holding a referendum on transfer of law making powers to the Assembly, the key promise in the Coalition's programme.

Didn't agree with Elin about the Prince of Wales though. She reckons Charles will be the last, while I don't. When people ask me 'Why', I feel like saying 'Why not'. Inevitably Lord Elis Thomas was included in the package, and he wanted done with the Prince of Wales position. He thought the role should be taken on by Rhodri Morgan. God forbid. More likely, he fancies the job for himself.

11 comments:

TCOAH said...

Sorry to here that you are under a tad bit under the weather. Hope u get better soon.

Anonymous said...

Prince Charles or Lord President Meirionydd, no choice realy. I prefer to stick with a plain speaking, consistant, open minded person who can chat with the ordinary man in Dolgellau square and who sticks to his political principles over a lifetime - rather than changing them all the time.

So its Tywysog Charles then for me

Bonetired said...

Get well soon. I have been missing your blog which is one of the very best around

Glyn Davies said...

TCOAH and Bonetired - Usually, it takes only a day or two to recover.

Anon - Very sensible to remain anonymous. Members of the Assembly's armed forces would be despatched to arrest you on a charge of treason for such a comment.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better! We need you!

Jeff Jones said...

Sorry to hear about the infection.I often watch the programme although I don't understand Welsh because it often has interesting contributions from its guests. You seem to speak Welsh as well as my late father who was brought up in a Welsh speaking home. I like both Vaughan and Betsan but I wish they would improve the subtitles service. I wouldn't tell you what you were sometimes supposed to have said according to the sub titles!

Glyn Davies said...

Jeff - I took 'accent' very seriously when I learned the language. I was very keen to retain a Montgomeryshire Weslh accent. One disadvantage is that I sometimes say what I can rather than what I want to. It happened last Wednesday when I said that the Prince of Wales had helped improve the 'image' of Wales - when I meant to say he'd contributed to raising the profile of Wales. Funny thing is I realise I'm doing it in the middle of my sentence, when its too late to change.

George Whitworth said...

Indeed . . . get well soon

George Whitworth said...

Thinking on re rash CF99 adventure:
1. Did Mrs D sanction the trip
2. Why did you not phone around for a driver

Tea leaf short said...

Glyn associates 'driver' with golf. He doesn't have a VW Golf so he tees off in his own 'tea bag' (BMW).

Glyn Davies said...

George - Good question - but I always think it will work out. Why do back row men dive into the bottom a scrum with certainty that they are going to emerge with a ball rather than a broken face.