Saturday, June 06, 2009

Remembering D Day

When I was young, I was concerned with my work, my family, and my sport. I did not spend much time thinking about fellow citizens who had joined the armed forces and committed themselves to preserving the freedom which allowed me to concentrate on those concerns. But as I've grown older, I've appreciated more the sacrifice that so many of our young men and women made in defence of our freedom. If you have 15 minutes to spare, visit this link and listen to Ronald Reagan use his great gift for communication to express the free world's thanks to those who stood tall on D Day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this link, what a wonderful speech, I wish Gordon Brown would listen to it. What must these brave men think of the world we live in today, where they hear of their fellow men, who survived the war but end up in our hospitals and die from infections and malnutrition. I just hope and pray for all our sakes that we don't have to endure another year of this dreadful government.

Dr. Christopher Wood said...

Their sacrifice saved the nation.

Anonymous said...

It is a fine and very moving spech, To be fair so was President Obama's yesterday. Both Presidents are a class apart in terms of their oratory. Time will tell when O's achievements match RR's but he has the same ability to use words to change hearts, a great gift in itself.