Saturday, January 01, 2011

Year End's Message.

I put out my Year End's Message yesterday. Here it is;

"2010 was a momentous year in my life. It was also a groundbreaking year, in both Montgomeryshire and British politics. Locally, decades of Liberal Democrat parliamentary representation came to an end when I was elected as Montgomeryshire's Member of Parliament. I will forever treasure the confidence that the people of Montgomeryshire showed in me, and will always try to put the interests of the constituency first.

At Westminster, the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats came together to form the Coalition Government, the first since the Second World War. Both in my own life and at Westminster, a great adjustment has been necessary to meet new expectations. I've had to become used to spending every Monday to Thursday in London. The British people have had to become used to a Government willing to take the tough action needed to tackle the massive challenges involved in rebuilding sound public finances.

Representing Montgomeryshire in the House of Commons has been a wonderful experience. Only very few politicians are lucky enough to serve their home area in the British Parliament. It was also a great honour for me when the Prime Minister appointed me a PPS in the Wales Office, the first of the 2010 intake to be promoted. This is the first time that an MP representing Montgomeryshire has ever served as part of a ministerial team. I will do my utmost to carry out my extra responsibilities in a professional way.

It has been unusual for me to work alongside Liberal Democrat MPs, and look on them as colleagues. In Montgomeryshire, the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats have always been fierce political opponents. But the reality is that I have found it very easy to work with Welsh MPs and Cabinet members of both Coalition partners. We have forged good working relationships, putting party interests aside in favour of the national interest. The Coalition has been very successful, and in general, I sense is supported by Montgomeryshire people. Government over the next few years is going to be very difficult, and it's a strength to have two great parties working together.

There have been several 'highlights' in 2010. Playing my part in ensuring that David Cameron replaced Gordon Brown as our Prime Minister was one special experience. Also, ensuring that S4C moved forward with a sustainable budget was another 'highlight', even if I have been disappointed by aspects of how the Channel's board has performed. However in the words that Tip O'Neill made famous, "All politics is local", and the most satisfying event of the last year has been the agreement of the Assembly Government to build a kidney dialysis unit in Montgomeryshire, at Welshpool Hospital. I've been one of many who have been campaigning for this, over many years. I do not think it would have happened without the campaigning. The arrival of this new service at the beginning of 2011 will be a great 'local' start to an important year.

On 3rd March, there will be a referendum about granting more powers to the National Assembly. My official role will be to encourage as many as possible to go out and vote. On May 5th, there will be another referendum on changing the system by which we elect our MPs. And also on May 5th there will be an Assembly election (when I will be out and about in Montgomeryshire, supporting Conservative candidate, Russell George). Naturally, I hope that 2011 will be politically successful for my party, but much more than that, I hope it will be a successful and satisfying year for the people of Montgomeryshire.

4 comments:

Sea Wood said...

“I hope that 2011 will be politically successful for my party, but much more than that, I hope it will be a successful and satisfying year for the people of Montgomeryshire.”

This might surprise some, but what Palin does in 2012 will largely determine the future of the West -> EU -> UK -> Wales -> Montgomeryshire.

It's kind of funny, Brits often berate Palin - but believe it or not, the fate of the West now rests on her shoulders. If Palin runs in 2012 she will likely gift a second term to Obama because Independents don’t like her and won’t vote for her.

More importantly if Palin runs in 2012 she will prevent a moderate business orientated candidate taking the White House and US unemployment rates will probably top out at unspeakable levels.

So enjoy 2011 as much as you can because 2012 and its hinterlands will be a wild ride for USA -> EU -> UK -> Wales -> Montgomeryshire.

Anonymous said...

...or Palin will run for President, and get it!.

I'll be out in my garden building a bunker if that happens!

Sea Wood said...

Anon> I would start building it now if I was you!

Glyn> interesting to see you tip your hat to Tip O'Neill (former Speaker). I was at a law school alumni meeting which was held at the Press Club in downtown Washington, DC; the Press Club is quite famous - especially for the often funny annual address by the President of the day.

Anyways/sideways, there were some speakers at the meeting who fondly recalled Tip O'Neill (one was a longtime serving Congressman - now retired, and another is a well known ex-staffer who once worked for said Congressman but who now works as a lobbyist on "K-Street" or its functional equivalent).

The former Congressman (D) worked with and new Tip O'Neill very well. So well he recalled some Tip O'Neill jokes. From memory (so I might have mixed up the joke, or forgotten some details) ...

Tip O'Neill was walking near the Capitol (essentially Congress) and a good looking guy ran up to him and took his hand and shook it warmly telling Tip O'Neill how much he admired him, etc. etc. Later that evening Tip O'Neill mentioned to his wife about this guy running up to him, that he somehow looked familiar.

Next day same thing happened. This guy ran up to him and said good to see you again, etc. etc.

Later that evening Tip O'Neill again told his wife about the guy who looked familiar running up to him to shake his hand. This time his wife asked him what the guy looked like. His wife said: "You know, that might be Robert Redford." Tip O'Neill wasn't sure.

Next day Tip O'Neill realized that it was that film star and this time it was Tip O'Neill who ran up to him (Robert Redford) and shook his hand.

Robert Redford said - hell Speaker, you’re in my shot! (Robert Redford was making/filming "All The Presidents Men").

Like 'what she wrote' Glyn, I know the guy who fired his boss and took over ... being President Nelson's official photographer ... I mean of course: President Reagan! The First Lady told him he was hired to fire his boss - can you believe that? And he did. (I don't want to say why.) But I can introduce you to him when/if you ever visit Washington, DC. He's a nice American - a Democrat, but a nice guy! All conversations will be off the record - "If you Dig" (From Elton John's "Rocket Man").

Sea World said...

ay aye ay ... typo ^The former Congressman (D) worked with and knew Tip ... I missed out the "k" before "n" in "new". sorry, tight deadlines '...and all that jazz" (Liza Minnelli).