Sunday, December 30, 2012

Jacob Rees-Mogg pays tribute to his great father.

Jacob Rees-Mogg has written a nice tribute to his late, great father, Lord (William) Rees-Mogg. Jacob is an unusual but brilliant MP, and I sometimes go into a debate just to hear him speak. He operates at a level of politeness that I can but dream of. Who can ever forget the look of utter shock on his face when Emily Maitlis asked him on Newsnight when he had last sworn at anyone. "I do not think Ms Maitlis that I have ever sworn at anyone in my adult life". Priceless.

Anyway, I considered William Rees-Mogg to be as balanced and able a journalist as its ever been my pleasure to read. I have read Jacob's tribute in today's Mail on Sunday three times, and reproduce here a few of the words used to describe his father's life.

"His reputation as a wordsmith who could produce long and elegant articles was unsurpassed. The bulk of his career was spent with The Times but he was particularly pleased, aged 75, to get a new job as a Mail on Sunday columnist" - which was the first article I read each Sunday morn.

"His family was central to his life. Although very busy, he turned up to childhood events. He was always in the audience at my school plays, and he encouraged all his children in whatever they wanted to be."

"He also had an inspirational faith, which helped him approach death without fear. He believed in the teachings of the Catholic Church and had not only been ready but inquisitive about meeting his maker for many years" - ever the journalist!

"His greatness was in his gentleness, his enthusiasm and his spiritual completeness, more than having known everyone who was anyone for 60 years. May he rest in peace."

I can see Jacob in my imagination saying this words.

No comments: