Monday, January 04, 2010

Getting Serious.

I remember Rhodri Morgan entering the Debating Chamber on the day he was to be confirmed as First Secretary of the National Assembly for Wales. He clearly didn't regard this title as sufficiently 'grand' for himself, and later changed it to First Minister. Anyway, what I remember most was that he'd been to Ken Picton's (or similar) for a hair styling. The ex-leader of the National Assembly is not normally associated with sartorial elegance, but on that occasion, he really looked the business. Which brings me to this morning's Montgomeryshire Conservative Campaign meeting.

I fear that I, too have a tendency to look a touch unkempt - which has not gone unnoticed by one of the snappier dressed attendees at this morning's committee. At the close of the meeting, he rushed downtown (if Welshpool can be said to have a 'downtown'), returning with a can of Boots 'Cool Blue' 24 hour anti-perspirant. Couldn't believe it. I take a shower every night, and twice a day in hot weather. But regular readers will recall that I've had trouble with sweaty armpits before. Pam reminded him that I'd developed my own strategy to deal with this problem - which is to wear white shirts. Problem is that I reckon sprays and lotions are not manly - and I have no wish to be seen as effeminate.

But I've just been watching a bad tempered debate on Newsnight about 'profiling' at our airports to protect security. One protagonist suggested that anyone sweating should be regarded as 'suspect'. What with Mrs D's prosthetic knee going 'ping' and me being hauled in for whole body searches, I can see us abandoning travelling abroad altogether. Perhaps I'll have to resort to the butane based anti sweat aerosol after all. Whatever, I did immediately sneak 'downtown' myself for a hair trim and styling. No stone can be allowed to remain unturned in our campaign to win.

8 comments:

James Dowden said...

You certainly have my sympathy, Glyn. My attitude is that a linen jacket covers all manner of sins in sweaty weather. But I suppose I don't care if I look as if I were selling ice cream.

But air travel has become horrendously degraded. I could go on describing the difference in my two last two winter flights (both business class with the same airline) back from central Europe (one in 2006/7 and one in 2007/8), but suffice it to say that I have no intention of ever flying to anywhere I can get to within 24 hours by train ever again. And for what it's worth, my approach to the Atlantic involves getting to Dublin first.

Ol' Stinky said...

With regard to your perspirational problem, I would respectfully suggest that you consult your local Pharmacy as there are a number of brands of anti-perspirant that are un-perfumed and if applied in the privacy of one's own bathroom, your secret will be safe.

Unknown said...

This reminds me of President Clinton's $200 dollar haircut which left the presidential plane, Airforce 1, standing on the tarmac for hours.

Richie said...

All you need is some anti perspirant Glyn - I dont think there's anything unmanly about that is there??

Also I suggest that you do your buttons up on your shirt. Dress for sucsess I say!

Anonymous said...

You're dirty on the outside. Lembit Grope-it is a sewer on the inside.

Unknown said...

According to today's CNN report, Gordon Brown has won an award for being the worst-dressed politician (true).

Unknown said...

http://www.zimbio.com/Gordon+Brown/articles/wobE_M4PStB/Gordon+Brown+UK+Worst+Dressed+Man

To read about it add the link to your browser.

bonetired said...

Glyn .. I have given up with airport scannners ... I have a prosthetic leg and an artificial hip ....