Saturday, June 09, 2012

The Euro and UKIP

I was always implacably opposed to UK membership of the Eurozone. Nothing to do with a desire to retain the Queen's head on coinage, which Euro-enthusiasts liked to accuse us of.  It was entirely because I do not believe a single currency can succeed if its not part of a single political union as well.  I still recall sitting on panels locally (alongside other Welsh politicians all Euro enthusiasts) being dismissed as an 'extremist' because of my views. I've never had the slightest doubt that at some stage the Euro will collapse - or at least be reformed to include only those countries which actually want to to be part of a political union. Despite today's 'resolution' of the Spanish banks problem, nothing has happened to change my mind. Its but sticking plaster.

Charles Moore has written an excellent article for today's Telegraph which wraps this simple proposition in the more elegant language that makes him my favourite writer. I feel that there are many other MPs (particularly Conservative MPs) who share this opinion.

This issue has often been the basis of discussions I have enjoyed with my Ukip friends in mid Wales. The Euro is an issue we generally agree about. But where I disagree is that I'm not in favour of withdrawing from the European Union - at this stage anyway.  Though I do think the consequences of the fight to save the Euro in its present form could seriously threaten the long term existence of the EU altogether. Its impossible to know where its all going - not helped by debate about an In/Out referendum which seems to me to be a massive distraction, and an excuse to avoid facing the real issue, which is the Euro. I've always thought there's a more honest philosophy underpinning Ukip. They support a referendum as a stepping stone to leaving the EU. Now that's a straight forward 'easy to understand' policy.

2 comments:

mairede thomas said...

Europe has 2 structural problems.
A lack of transparent and meaningful democracy with which the citizens of the countries of Europe can easily engage. And the Euro, which is a political construct without a fiscal or indeed proper monetary basis. A fiat currency in the extreme.

A whole new structure for Europe could be the basis for going forward.

Glyn Davies said...

Mairede - Agreed. And the concept of 'democracy' is becoming less meaningful across the Eurozone area by the day.