Sunday, March 20, 2011

Libya, Japan and the Budget.

When was there last such a momentous time in UK (and connected) politics. 9/11 I suppose. Firstly, we have the reverberations of Japan's earthquake, tsunami and nuclear 'incident' - as well as the associated loss of life and impact on the world's economy. Secondly we have a very important budget on Wednesday, the success of which is crucial for the long term health of our economy, our public services and 'place' in the world. And we have, in effect, gone to war with a North African country - though I think the proper term is something like 'international conflict' rather than 'war'.

Tomorrow, There will be a debate in the House of Commons relating to the UN Security Council resolution on Libya. Sending our young people into a conflict zone is a really big deal, and this could well have been the most important vote of my political career. And I'm not going to be there. I have an appointment to see Mr Trevedi at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital at Gobowen, which I dare not miss. He is a spinal expert, and my spine has been giving me some serious gyp for a while. Because 'Libya' is a difficult issue, I do not want to dodge the responsibility involved in committing myself publicly - so I'm writing this blog post. My constituents should know which way I would have voted. Despite concerns about 'mission creep' and some uncertainty about what I see as the specific objective, I would vote to take whatever action is needed to enforce UN Resolution 1973. It would be wrong for world powers to stand aside and allow Gadaffi and his evil regime to slaughter tens of thousands of innocent Libyans. I suppose I could get to Westminster by 8.30 if all goes to time - so I might even just make it to vote.

7 comments:

Oscar said...

good luck with the Dr, world class hospital and staff at Gobowen, we are lucky to have such a hospital that we welsh can access.

Anonymous said...

This huge attack on Gadaffi, as mean and nasty as he is, sends a very wrong strategic signal to other bad regimes.

Gadaffi was on leader (bad as he is) who listened to the west asking him to stop developing nuclear capability. And now we are wiping him out.

We are telling the North Korean regime to give up nuclear weapons and if they do they need not worry about their regime being attacked by the West.

We are making similar promises to Iran not to develop a nuclear weapons capability...

We are asking Pakistan not to double the size of its nuclear arsenal (just over 100 nuke missiles to about 200 nuke missiles)...

Why should they listen?

They see what's happened to Gadaffi who cooperated.

Anonymous said...

meanwhile back at home in montgomeryshire...

just returned home from work to find a questionaire off your friend cllr russell george.
Is it worth me returning this questionaire if there is no money in the budget for the schools / roads / hospitals etc.

Anonymous said...

rest assured anon 2, welcome to GB LTD. We live in a society where a pizza delivery service gets to your house quicker than the police or ambulance service. In an emergency, call pizza hut!

Anonymous said...

Heads-up: There's a rumour circulating around Washington (and probably elsewhere including London) that Moody's is on the verge of downgrading the UK - in part due to what looks like out of control inflation in the UK.
Dr. Chris Wood

Anonymous said...

Why has no one commented on the budget last week? Why is there no blog on this subject either?

Anonymous said...

anon (26th march) I suspect that the budget comments are not being published to this site. You only have to view Glyn's Facebook page to see how enraged his "friends" are on his approval of a "6p" cut in fuel prices.
It is probably better for Glyn's health that he doesn't blog on this subject and have to read more comments before discarding them to the recycling bin in cyberspace.