Saturday, June 18, 2016

My EU Referendum certainties.

I accept deciding which way to go in Thursday's EU Referendum is a very difficult decision for many people to take. There are no 'facts' to base a decision on. Just contested assertions. I can see that a good case can be made to Remain and a good case can be made to Leave. I've spoken to so many people who do not know what's for the best. I do not try to influence how they vote - except that by informing those who ask, that I will be voting ' Leave' may have some influence. It's an issue that is awash with uncertainty.

But not for me. It's not a difficult decision at all. I have always known that I would be for Leave. There has never been any doubt. I voted Out in 1975, and would always have voted Leave if asked the question. It's not based on the money the UK has to hand over to the EU. It's not because of immigration. Must admit I have found much of the Leave campaign dispiriting. But not nearly as dispiriting as the 'Remain' campaign which has left me shocked by it's distasteful tone. No, for me its simply that I never wanted Britain to be subsumed into an undemocratic bureaucracy. The only 'campaigning line' that has had any real resonance with my views has been "Take Back Control".

I have also not become over-excited about the referendum itself. Another certainty in my mind is that the British people will vote to Remain. I take not the slightest notice of the opinion polls. Whatever reasons are suggested for the vote to 'Remain' or 'Leave' will not shake my view that this referendum is too early. The British people are cautious and will vote to leave the EU only when the whole bureaucratic EU edifice is falling apart - which it will. And that's another of my 'certainties'. The EU will fall apart. I have told onstituents that the strongest reason for 'Remain' is that the UK will be a force for stability when the process of 'falling apart' takes place.

Lots of my friends will disagree with my logic. That's Ok with me. That is the one redeeming of this referendum. I have the freedom to vote and say what I want - even if I do feel a sense of disloyalty to David Camoron, for whom I have the highest possible regard, when I vote not as he wants me to. But in this area of confusion and uncertainty I am fortunate to have my own certainties to guide me.

No comments: