Sunday, May 20, 2012

Melding's Mission

Now I've had the greatest respect for Conservative Assembly Member, David Melding. He's always been a lateral thinker, and is currently preforming splendidly as Deputy Presiding Officer of the National Assembly for Wales. I've often heard people say that "Of course, he's not really a Conservative at all". Oh yes he is.  There are times when I think he's rather more Conservative than the Conservative Party.

Anyway, it seems he's launching a centre/right think tank, and hoping to attract supporters of Plaid Cymru, the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives to sign up.  I like the idea, but am not convinced its a bird which will fly - at this early stage anyway.  I hope it does. Might be a better plan to try to 'infiltrate' the centre/left Institute of Welsh Affairs !

I'm looking forward to learning who the individuals involved in this new think tank are going to be.  It will be no use if its just populated by ex-politicians, and a few quagocrats. It needs some quality names like Brian Griffiths and Patrick Minford (or their youthful equivalents) and a strong base in universities. I'm sure David's got some good ideas. I wish it well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really good idea.
However I don't think I'd agree with Patrick Minford's inclusion!

Anonymous said...

Good on him. I think Welsh conservatism has an exciting future. Hopefully we'll get a Rainbow coalition next time around...

Anonymous said...

I had a chat and a pint with a Tory once. We agreed on the best fly for sewin, but I wouldn't say we agreed on other matters. As it happens it was a very successful fishing trip for both, and why not? Rainbow was irrelevant, wrong conditions.