Sunday, March 18, 2012

Team of the Six Nations (and four nations)

So little time to post at present. My wife's chosen epitaph for me. "He just didn't have time". But now that the Six Nations is over I thought I'd choose my teams of the Tournament, and tomorrow's Lions team. I wasn't going to bother until I caught up with Paul Ackford's assessment in today's Telegraph. Just screwed the paper up and threw it in the fire. He's either blind or biased. Time for the management to give him something else to write about. How on earth can he leave the 'Player of the Tournament', Dan Lydiate out of either team. Its this sort of reporting that threatens the Union. Definitely makes me feel more Welsh - which may influence my selections.

Full Back; Kearney's good, but Halfpenny's better. (Wales).
Wings; Cuthbert comes close, but for me its Bowe and North. (Ireland and Wales)
Centres; Several contenders, including Barritt, Jamie Roberts. I go with Jonathon Davies and Fofana, replaced by Tuilagi for the Lions. (Wales, France).
Stand off; Sexton just edges out Farrell and Priestland. (Ireland)
Scrum Half; Mike Phillips (Wales)
Props; English props are both good, but its got to be Jenkins and Adam Jones (Wales and Wales)
Hooker; Mathew Rees is good but I'll go for Dylan Hartley (England)
2nd Row; Several contenders incl. Ritchie Gray, Ian Evans, Parling but its Maestri and O'Connell for me with, Ritchie Gray on the Lions tour. (Ireland and France)
Back Row; Such riches to choose from. Dusautoir, Harinordoquy, Parisse, Ferris, Croft and Morgan. There'as a real case for Croft before Warburton because of injuries - but for me its got to be the three Welsh boys, Warburton, Falatau and especially Lydiate (Wales all the way)

So there we have it. 9 Welshmen, 3 Irishmen, 2 Frenchmen, and 1 Englishmen.

2 comments:

Mark Ellison said...

take it the hooker is english as could n't spot the englishman otherwise?!!

Glyn Davies said...

Mark - You were quick. I noticed I'd left the hooker out 5 minutes after posting ! Perhaps I subconsciuosly found it difficult.